When faced with the news of a last-minute work potluck, thoughts of what quick, easy and nutritious dish I could bring raced through my mind. As a conscious macro tracker, my first thought was of the high carbohydrate and fat foods that I expected to be present at this social gathering (typical of many social events, chips, pizza and cake came to mind). Considering this, I knew the food I would contribute should have a high protein content. Enter the humble soy bean. Even though soy beans are a source of plant protein (which is typically lower in certain amino acids than animal proteins), soybeans are an excellent, complete protein source. Soybeans are also an important source of folate, vitamin K, calcium, magnesium, iron and fibre. This certainly is a potluck friendly dish you can feel good about sharing with your friends or co-workers, if you are so inclined.
Highlights of making the recipe include:
- Soy beans and red kidney beans are available to purchase at most major super markets with a well-equipped bulk food section (by far my favourite kind).
- As the recipe is made using a single bowl (if you use the bowl that you intend to bring to your function as the main bowl, if making this dish to share), minimal clean-up is required.
- With its bright colours and zesty flavours, this dish is known to be a hit at social gatherings (and quite often, a topic of conversation).
- This salad stores well in the refrigerator in a tightly sealed container for up to five days.
It turned out the foods I suspected to be at the event (chips, pizza and cake) did indeed make an appearance. But I wasn’t concerned. With 20 grams of protein per ½ cup serving, this Mediterranean-inspired soy bean salad balanced out my macronutrient intake at this event nicely. I only hope this recipe does the same for you one day. Enjoy!
Macros per 1/2 Cup Serving
Protein: 20 g
Fat: 12 g
Carbohydrates: 23 g
Sugar: 4.5 g
Fibre: 6.5 g
Mediterranean Soy Bean Salad
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- In a small bowl combine oil, lemon juice, garlic and salt.
- Place red pepper, zucchini, tomato, red onion, olives and beans in a medium bowl.
- Pour oil mixture over vegetable and bean mixture. Stir to mix.
- Cover and chill 1-4 hours, stirring once.
- Just before serving stir in cilantro and green onions.
- Garnish with sesame seeds.