Go ahead and sleep in a little – these make-ahead breakfast quiches are perfect for those never planned, but often inevitable, no-fuss-fly-out-the-door mornings. Just grab a few of these quiches, re-heat (if desired), and go!
In an attempt to keep your breath fresh long after breakfast, when creating this recipe, I strategically omitted garlic and onions (as well as any other pungent ingredients). Instead, dried herbs & spices and colorful veggies give this dish satisfying flavour. And as your morning meal is the perfect time to get the ball rolling for your daily product intake, I didn’t skimp on the veggies in this dish. In fact, a single quiche contains over one serving of vegetables! The veggies add visual appeal as well (and, as you may have heard, we eat with our eyes first – this is very true); vibrant colored bell peppers, different shades of green veg, and clean white mushrooms make this dish pop. And these mini quiches are very versatile – feel free to sub in the veggies you have available or your favourites, and mix up the herbs and spices!
Highlights of making this recipe:
- Clean-up is a breeze with one dirty bowl and a few spoons (that can be washed when the little quiches are baking), as well as the muffin tin dish after the fact.
- Whisking the egg mixture for 2-3 minutes gives your forearms a nice little workout. Tighten your tummy muscles and enjoy the burn!
- The quiches will store refrigerated for about 5 days. To re-heat, transfer the quiches to the oven or a toaster oven at 350 Degrees Fahrenheit until warm (7-9 minutes); or enjoy chilled (my preference)!
Loaded with protein and containing a healthy dose of vegetable fibre, this hearty breakfast option will keep your appetite satisfied throughout the morning. And by omitting the butter and flour crust of traditional quiches, these bites are pretty low cal too!
Macros per 2 Quiches
Protein: 16 g
Fat: 11 g
Carbohydrates: 6 g
Sugar: 2 g
Fibre: 2 g
Crustless Quiche Breakfast Bites
- 3 cup white button mushrooms sliced*
- 2 cup brocolli cut into small florets
- 1 cup zucchini chopped
- 1/2 cup bell peppers chopped (use red if available)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 8 second spritz Olive Oil Cooking Spray
- 1 3/4 cup Egg White
- 2 egg
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 cup grated light mozzarella cheese *
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with tinfoil and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine vegetables, oil, and herbs. Toss vegetables to coat. Place veggies on a baking sheet, and roast for 20 minutes (stirring at 10 minutes).
- Meanwhile, mist a regular sized 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray. In the same bowl the vegetables were prepped in, add egg whites, eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine and add air, 2-3 minutes.
- Remove veggies from oven and distribute evenly into muffin cups (muffin cups should be quite full).
- Using a ¼ cup measuring scoop, add a ¼ cup of the egg mixture into the muffin cups over roasted veggies.
- Bake quiches for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle each quiche with 1 tablespoon of cheese.
- Return to oven until cheese has melted and quiches appear firm, 5-10 minutes.