Berry season is here!
With the sun shining and birds singing, I can’t think of a better way to celebrate than with a simple and delicious crisp; and for me, there are two things that go hand in hand – sunshine and coconut. So here you have it – a simply delicious summer harvest-inspired and perfectly coconutty crisp. Cue clapping.
This recipe is perfect for those busy summer schedules that call for no-fuss, light, yet satisfying dishes (as it requires only a dozen easily sourced ingredients and one bowl to prepare). Additionally this recipe is a great one as it’s very flexible – right now, I like to use fresh strawberries (as my mom’s bushes were bursting at the seams), as well as frozen raspberries (to help clear out the freezer of last season harvest). Later in the summer the best bounty available will shift, which really makes the possibilities for this recipe exciting. This crisp also happens to be insanely delicious – so watch out world!
In a nut shell, this super straight forward recipe is assembled as follows:
- The berries are added directly to a baking dish and topped with syrup, cornstarch (to help thicken the berry juice), and lemon juice for a bit of brightness and acidity.
- Next comes the nutrient dense crisp – featuring coconut in many delicious forms, walnuts, and oats.
- Just 40-45 minutes in the oven and this beauty is ready to enjoy.
This light summary dessert gets crisp and golden brown on top, and the juices from the berries with the thickening power of cornstarch create a lovely “sauce” that makes it a perfect pairing for a frozen dessert of your choice (yes I’m looking at you creamy vanilla bean gelato).
Highlights of making this recipe:
- This crisp is easy to assemble and quite fast to bake – as evident by the quick-and-dirty assembly outlined above.
- This light dessert makes for a highly attractive and seasonal produce-centric dessert for dinner parties, BBQs, and celebrations… or just an easy weeknight treat to satisfy those taste buds.
- Because it is berry-packed this dessert is naturally sweetened (and requires minimal added sweetening agents) and is a great way to use up those abundant berries this summer.
At the end of this cooking session, you have a highly satisfying dish featuring a warm and comforting inside with a crunchy crisp topping. The perfect plant-based, gluten-free summer dessert (or breakfast, or snack…).
Macros per Piece
Protein: 4 g
Fat: 15 g
Carbohydrates: 24 g
Sugar: 7 g
Fibre: 9 g
Simply Summer Mixed Berry Crisp
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lightly mist a 9 x 13-inch (or similar size) dish with cooking spray and add fruit directly to it.
- Top fruit with syrup, cornstarch, and lemon juice. Toss to combine.
- To a large mixing bowl, add the flour, oats, coconut, nuts, stevia, and salt. Stir to fully combine.
- Add vanilla extract and coconut oil and mix with a large spoon or your hands until evenly distributed but crumbly texture remains. *
- Spread the crisp topping evenly over the fruit. Bake uncovered on the center oven rack for 40-45 minutes or until the fruit is bubbling and the top is golden brown.
- Let cool ~10 minutes before serving by cutting 3×3.**