What is Shrimp Ceviche exactly? Well traditional ceviche is a South American dish of raw seafood tossed in an acidic marinade (generally citrus juice or vinegar) which “cooks” the fish. And this recipe is builds off this tradition… with the addition of some unique ingredients for nice flavour and texture variety to impress!
I first fell in love with ceviche while on vacation in Mexico – it was light and refreshing – absolutely perfect for the weather down there. The fact that it was relatively low calorie and very high protein made it an ideal addition to sometimes unpredictable vacation diet. The ceviche I had down there contained a variety of fish and seafood (including squid rings, clams, and raw shrimp)… but for my version, I decided to use cooked shrimp. This is because both a) it helps the recipe come together a lot more quickly AND b) I like the texture better than when I start with raw shrimp.
I’m a huge fan of making shrimp dishes on the regular because shrimp cooks quickly, allowing me to get dinner on the table in a hurry. But the winner of all shrimp dishes has got to be this quick Easy Shrimp Ceviche recipe because…. no cooking required! Plus the flavour is out of this world and it takes just minutes of hands on time. AND you only have one bowl to clean. Talk about easy!
I like to make a big batch when I have friends over and serve along side a bowl full of tortilla chips so guests can dig right in. On other nights I just pile a few spoonfuls right onto a romaine leaf, taco style, for a light lunch or dinner.
In addition to the cooked shrimp base, I wanted to punch up the flavour of this simply delicious recipe a bit more by adding in chopped jicama for crunchy sweetness, creamy avocado, and chili flaked for a subtle kick. The traditional flavours are also there of course, with the burst of fresh citrus juice, cilantro, and onion that are staples in ceviche.
Highlights of making this recipe:
- This ceviche recipe is so simple to make with just a handful of fairly easy to round-up ingredients.
- This flavourful eat is ready in minutes with absolutely minimal clean-up post prep.
- Prep speed is facilitated if you let the shrimp marinade in the citrus juice (for about 15 minutes) while you chop up the vegetables.
- The addition of fun ingredients (like jicama and chili flakes) make this recipe uniquely textured and utterly delicious.
- No cooking required! This is certainly something to smile about on those warm spring and hot summer days that lay ahead.
This Easy Shrimp Ceviche recipe makes for a great late spring/ early summer eat. Cool, light, and refreshing, this ceviche is on the table in minutes and perfect for parties. Get ready for a flavour explosion for your taste buds!
Macros per 1/3 Cup Serving
Protein: 8 g
Fat: 2 g
Carbohydrates: 4 g
Sugar: 2 g
Fibre: 2 g
Easy Shrimp Ceviche
- 453 grams cooked shrimp (1 lb) peeled and de-veined
- 1/4 cup lemon juice fresh, ~2 lemons
- 1/4 cup lime juice fresh, ~3 limes
- 1/2 cup orange juice fresh
- 3/4 cup Roma tomato (150 grams) seeds removed and diced
- 1/2 cup raw jicama or peeled apple (~60 grams) finely diced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro (25 grams) minced
- 1/4 cup white onion (40 grams) finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 small ripe avocado (100 grams) pitted and diced
- Fine sea salt & white pepper to taste
- Chop the shrimp into 1/2 inch pieces and transfer to a bowl. Set aside.
- In a second small bowl, whisk together the lemon, lime, and orange juice to combine**. Pour 1/2 cup of the citrus juice over the shrimp and toss to combine. Allow the shrimp to marinade in the juice for 15 minutes.
- Add the tomato, jicama (or apple), cilantro, red onion, and chili flakes to the shrimp. Toss the ingredients to combine and allow mixture to marinate for an additional 10 minutes. Gently fold in the avocado and add the remaining juices.
- Season the ceviche with salt and pepper as needed. Serve immediately***, with tortilla chips if desired.