When planning for a trip on the snack/ food front, one of our all-time favourite creations is homemade trail mix. Accordingly, we thought to spread the word on a simple and nutritious “trail mix foundation” recipe this month.
So easy to assemble and personalize to your preference and daily nutrient needs, recipes such as this are a wide-spread favourite amongst clients… understandably so, who doesn’t love delicious finger food on a lengthy plane or car ride?
With this snack in tow, we bet you’ll be looking forward to those lengthy commutes to reach your destination… well at least you shouldn’t dread them so much.
Highlights of making this recipe:
- This nutritious snack couldn’t be easier to create. Bar, chocolate, popcorn, BOOM.
- Once made, it stores conveniently until the products it contains expire (keeping this snack no longer than 2-3 months is recommended for freshness).
- It is nutritious, convenient, delicious to enjoy. And is easily eaten in small parts throughout a full day of travel if needed.
- With such versatility, this is a travel snack you should never get bored of making and eating no matter your goals.
- Versatile trail mix is also a great way to use-up extra bulk food items you have lying around.
Feel free to add in some of your personal favourite ingredients to this trail mix foundation to make it your own [such as almonds, high protein popcorn, your favourite cereal(s)]… just be sure to track these separately if food logging is part of your lifestyle.
Macros per Recipe
Protein: 22 g
Fat: 19 g
Carbohydrates: 62 g
Sugar: 25 g
Fibre: 21 g
Dark Chocolate Banana Trail Mix
- 1 ea high protein and fibre bar (Quest Chocolate Brownie flavour used in this specific recipe)
- 1/4 cup banana chips
- 2 tbsp dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup air popped popcorn
- Chop protein bar in ~1 cm cubes
- Combine all ingredients in a medium Zip Lock style bag or Tupperware if you prefer