With the goal of minimizing kitchen time (and keeping that oven fully turned off in the dog days of summer), these protein bars were designed to be the perfect summer eat. Light on the stomach, high protein and fibre, and full of delicious peanut butter and banana flavour, I have a feeling these bars will find a place in the heart of many. Bring them to the beach or park to enjoy with friends, enjoy one at that common 3pm slump on a work day, or savour a bar as you watch the sunset following a full summer day.
And these bars are not just perfect for summer! With fall and the start of school year looming, these treat-like bars make for a great fast breakfast (eat them right out of the fridge while you blow dry your hair, are on the road, sitting at your desk… you name it), after school/ work, or at recess/ as a mid-work day snack.
While store bought protein bars are a solid option in a pinch in many situations, it is great to have a homemade version – containing some nutritious whole foods – ready and waiting in the freezer when hunger strikes. And there crazy simple to put together as well… did I mention no cooking required?!
Highlights of making this recipe:
- The recipe proportions can easily be followed with slightly different ingredients (like your favourite whey protein powder) – just keep in mind the macros will be different. Less liquid will also likely be needed if the protein is changed.
- Freezer protein bars – aka No Oven – let’s keep that appliance turned off this hot season.
- As the recipe is made using just two bowls, clean-up is quick and easy, and can be done while the bars are hardening in the freezer.
- These bars store well in the refrigerator in a tightly sealed container for up to five days, or can be stored in the freezer for several months.
Perfect to make and eat mostly all year though, the busy and warm days of summer have to be the best time to try them! I hope you enjoy them as much as we do.
Macros per 1/12 Recipe Serving (1 bar)
Protein: 29 g
Fat: 6 g
Carbohydrates: 24 g
Sugar: 3 g
Fibre: 15 g
Peanut Butter Banana Freezer Protein Bars
- 12 scoops protein powder (Kaizen Vegan Vanilla Bean protein used in this recipe)
- 10 packets calorie free sucralose sweetener (such as Splenda)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 tbsp powdered peanut butter
- 115 grams unflavoured fibre powder supplement (~3/4 cup, Benefibre used in this recipe)
- 3 cup vanilla, unsweetened nut milk
- 240 grams ripe banana (~2 small-medium)
- 4 tbsp 100% natural peanut butter
- Combine protein, sweetener, salt, powdered peanut butter, and fibre powder
- In a separate bowl, thoroughly combine nut milk, banana, and peanut butter*
- Combine all ingredients together and mix well
- Pour on a 9×13 baking dish lined with wax paper, freeze overnight
- Cut 3×4 after ~2 hours in the freezer or in the following day(s)
- *Microwave banana/ peanut butter mixture to facilitate mixing