By Kaori Kay Cheslock, RHNC
Knowing what specific/ general ingredients are used always helps you accurately estimate the nutrition profile of dishes.
If you are bringing your own meals, it’s very easy to know how much you want to put on your plate. If you’re eating the meals that are already out on the table (prepared by others), always try to go for wholesome food based options such as veggies dip, fresh fruit, or whole grain crackers for appetizers. Regarding main, going for fish, poultry, red meat, or turkey with no extra sauces will help you not only reduce the excess sugar and fat intake but also make it easier to estimate the portion size and calories you are consuming.
If you’re munching on the appetizers while visiting with others, try to go for veggies with dip or fresh fruit (low cal, high volume) so you can avoid overeating by consuming food non-mindfully.
These little tips sound basic – however many small calculated choices add up, and are key to reach your goals while enjoying the time and food with your special ones this Thanksgiving and upcoming holidays.
And of course, the leftover turkey recipe is covered too… Try this recipe and your next few days of simple, healthy eating will be set!
Macros per 1/2 Serving (⅛ of total recipe) with garnish
Protein: 25 g
Fat: 14 g
Carbohydrates: 21 g
Sugar: 5 g
Fibre: 6 g
Reduced Fat Turkey Chili
- 400 grams extra lean ground turkey
- 200 grams medium white onion minced (~1 cup)
- 200 grams celery chopped (~2 cups)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp dried cumin
- 1000 ml canned diced tomatoes
- 1 540 ml can black beans
- 1 clove garlic minced
Garnish (optional per full serving)
- 2 tbsp fat free sour cream
- 50 grams medium avocado cubed (~1/2 a whole fruit)
- Cook the extra lean ground turkey in a large saucepan without adding any oil. Add chopped veggies and garlic with the turkey.
- Sprinkle salt & pepper.
- Add chili powder and dried cumin.
- Add canned diced tomato, black beans, and minced garlic. Mix to fully combine.
- Cook it until all the vegetables are softened and meat is cooked through.
- Garnish with Sour Cream & Avocado if desired.