By Kaori Kay Cheslock, RHNC
Here’s another fun way to put those turkey dinner leftovers to use.
Once you’ve practiced this creative leftover-utilizing recipe method for Thanksgiving, you’ll have built some strong skills to help you navigate the use of dinner leftovers the next big holiday in December!
Macros per Serving (⅓ of total recipe)
Protein: 28 g
Fat: 10 g
Carbohydrates: 35 g
Sugar: 3 g
Fibre: 2 g
Leftover Reduced Carb Turkey Risotto
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 200 grams medium white onion minced (~1 cup)
- 100 grams celery chopped (~1 cup)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 100 grams uncooked jasmine rice rinsed (1/2 cup)
- 100 grams konjac (‘shirataki’) rice rinsed (1/2 cup)
- 500 ml low sodium vegetable broth (2 cups)
- 300 grams leftover turkey meat shredded
- dried sage to taste
- 30 grams light mozzarella cheese (1/4 cup)
- 1 stalk green onion chopped
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add onion and celery. Cook until vegetables soften.
- Season with salt & pepper. Add the jasmine and konjac rice mixture and cook until the Jasmine rice is translucent.
- Add the broth. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Add leftover shredded turkey and dried sage, reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Add light mozzarella cheese and mix to fully combine.
- Sprinkle with green onion.